Friday, October 18, 2013

Monsters!

fiveforfriday2_thumb3

Man-oh-man did we have fun with monsters this week!

We made shape monsters and asked the kids to label the color and shape they wanted to use.  




We played with monster eye balls and goo.  I found the idea to use water gems {from the floral department} and wiggle eyes at I Can Teach My Child.  We were all fascinated with them and will definitely be using them again!




We made magnet monsters by using pipe cleaner pieces with some wiggle eyes glued on and magnetic wands.  I also found this idea at I Can Teach My Child.  This activity was a big hit, too!  


We read Go Away, Big Green Monster! several times and used a monster puppet to help retell the story.


Then, we mixed fairly equal parts of glue, shaving cream, and green paint and spread it onto paper plates.  While the mixture was still wet, they dropped their monster face pieces on.  When it dries they have a foamy texture to them.  




We made a "What Color is the Monster" book from a monster pack by Little Monkey Printables.  To download it free on TPT click here.

At circle time, we answered yes/no questions.  It's always funny to hear their explanations for their answer! To download these questions by Schoolhouse Talk free on TPT click here.

We made play dough monsters, too!  This idea also came from I Can Teach My Child.  I gave them a few wiggle eyes and an eye bouncy ball.  They loved getting to play with the eyes!



Then, we made purple monsters!  I found the idea at No Time for Flash Cards.  I know I've said it before, but it's so fun to see each child's personality come out in their artwork.  I think this was my favorite project this week!



We ended the week reading Where the Wild Things Are and making wild thing masks.  The kids colored on their mask and then added yarn, feathers, and some random dots that I had.  I just realized I didn't take any pictures of the finished product!  Oops!



Here's a picture of our monster bulletin board.  I can't wait for the kids to see it on Monday!



We're going to work in a few more monster themed activities over the next few weeks.  Some of the table time activities were such a hit that we'll be doing them again before Halloween. 

Thanks for stopping by!
~Beth

2 comments:

  1. Your pictures are just darling! I loved looking through them and see your kiddo's sweet work :)

    Elizabeth
    Seconds at the Beach

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed them. I have a great group...and they love having their picture taken!

      Delete