Monday, December 2, 2013

Autumn and Scarecrows

Yikes!  I've been so busy the last few weeks!  I don't know what I was thinking when I signed up to take 12 hours of continuing education while teaching full time, blogging, oh and don't forget having a personal life!  The good news is that I'm down to one continuing ed. class and it ends this week!  So, that being said here's what we did a few weeks ago...

The second week of November our theme was autumn and scarecrows.  We started the week by making acorns.  The kids painted watered down glue onto construction paper and glued tissue paper squares on it.  Then, they used popsicle sticks to paint brown lines on the top of the acorn.  We let them dry and the next day they glued them together.  








Then, we made scarecrows out of popsicle sticks.  The kids glued the sticks onto a base we started for them.  Then, they added the face.  Once it was dry, they drew the mouth on.  I think their favorite part of the project was getting to use liquid glue!






We also made Indian corn by cutting paper into squares and gluing them onto the corn cob shape.  Once the corn was glued on, the kids counted how many pieces they had and we wrote it on the back.  I didn't get any pictures of the activity, but I took one of the finished product.

We ended the week by making scarecrows with a picture of the kids for the face.  They were so excited about adding their picture to it!








Ms. Mary used our scarecrows to make a bulletin board in the hallway.  My little darlings loved checking out their work every time we walked by.


During circle time, we worked on identifying colors and numbers.  Each little cutie had a scarecrow with numbers 1-9 on it and nine different colored squares.  They had to find the color square I stated and cover the correct number.  When they were finished, they had a patchwork scarecrow!




In my last post (that was unfortunately ages ago) about Owls I told you that I hadn't gotten pictures of the final products of a few of our activities.  Here's a look at the adorable bulletin board Ms. Mary made and the finished owls.  




Thanks for stopping by!
~Beth

2 comments:

  1. I've never commented on one of your blog postings previously, but I stalk the page regularly! Thank you for posting pictures about the 'goings-on' in your class. I love seeing what Liam's up to.

    ReplyDelete